Technical Bid Writer
To express an interest in this position, e-mail email@example.com with a cover letter and CV, quoting the job reference number.
NOTE TO EMPLOYMENT AGENCIES: We are currently working with only our preferred suppliers.
Summary of Role:
Capula is a leading advanced automation and real-time business intelligence company specialising in Automation, Control, IT Solutions and Services with major customers in the Nuclear, Power Generation, Utilities and Transmission markets. Part of the Imtech Group, the Company is renowned for its innovation, technical excellence, project delivery, quality and safety. Right now, we have an exciting opportunity for an experienced B2B Technical Bid Writer to join one of our fastest growing business areas and play a key role in delivering the vision.
In your role of Technical Bid Writer, you’ll respond to both Private and Public sector bids and Public Bodies Frameworks.
You will be responsible for writing and winning customer-centric proposals based on client engagement and also PQQs, tenders and related documents that achieve high bid conversion rates. Working within a friendly and supportive team of bidding professionals, you will work with subject matter experts to compile and ensure a high quality and bespoke solution is offered to our clients. With an adaptability to deal with changing project requirements you will be responsible for writing in a clear and articulate manner and will be self-motivated, hardworking and accurate in your approach to work; paying great attention to detail and continuously striving for improvement.
For the right candidate there is also the opportunity to take on the responsibility of acting as the lead demonstrator to clients for our suite of solutions.
In addition, knowledge/experience of different PLC/SCADA/IIOT technology architectures is desirable. The ability to interpret the client’s requirements, produce subcontract specification requirements and identifying suitable subcontract suppliers when required would be useful. A reasonable amount of travel to customer or supplier sites is expected, either attending with the relevant sales lead, other engineering staff or on your own.
You will be required to:
- Work closely with bid teams and subject matter experts and provide technical and commercial writing skills, display creative flair in tender plans ensuring high standards of accuracy and document control against agreed deadlines are met.
- Support Bid Manager and at times take the lead to facilitate win themes, storyboarding, answer planning and writing workshops.
- Analyse and understand PQQs and tenders quality scoring criteria and client requirements as well as the preferences of the target audience
- Conduct research, interview contributors and gather information from a wide range of sources, writing from scratch or editing material as appropriate
- Develop and refine drafts into customer-focussed responses that are clear, well-structured and focus on benefits
- Prepare cost estimates and lead preparation for each gateway review process as part of our governance process.
- Ensure consistency with house style and alignment with customer terminology
- Work with graphic designers to produce appropriate graphics that enhance the response
- Contribute to review meetings and consider review comments from review team to enhance PQQs and quality bid content
- Ensure completion of narrative meet the required internal and external deadlines at every stage in the bid process
- Follow formal systems and governance processes and ensure timely delivery of tasks within strict timescales
Day-to-day activities of the Bid Support function depends on the specific sales opportunities and their lifecycle. This includes providing the bid lead role or liaising with the bid lead, business head on the opportunity. This will include sales strategy; completing pre-qualification or proposal documentation; identifying and detailing solutions to address client needs; preparing cost estimate information; and answering client questions.
A successful candidate shall be technically knowledgeable and experienced from either a software or hardware background in a solution delivery or sales environment.
- Working with the Business Development Managers (BDMs) to provide technical support, system architectures, cost estimates, etc and ensuring compliance to internal bid governance rules and procedures.
- Support the BDMs through meetings with our clients to understand their needs and demonstrate market/technical expertise as part of a bid process.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with technology providers to understand the latest technologies and to ensure compliant deliverable solutions are developed.
- Carry out surveys on client sites as required to identify scope, scale, implementation philosophies, etc
- Produce subcontract specifications, in liaison with procurement, for providers to quote against and reviewing their tender returns for compliance and value.
- Produce detailed proposal documents that are well structured, contain the main selling messages and differentiators that give Capula the edge over our competitors.
- Potential involvement in research and development activities related to specific propositions and solutions. This also includes maintaining strong relationships with Alliance partners.
- Liaising with 3rd party suppliers, producing Subcon specifications for them to quote against and reviewing their tender returns for compliance and value.
- A Software or Hardware engineering background with a good understanding of the engineering processes used in the development and execution of successful solutions.
- A natural curiosity to learn new technologies and solutions.
- Experience in effective time management to meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to achieve security clearance to at least SC level.
- Works to APMP standards.
- Capable of working on own initiative.
- Ability to work to deadlines and to manage time efficiently.
- Excellent communications skills.
- Have a naturally positive can do attitude to solving client solution issues.
- Target oriented – understands targets and demonstrate a structured approach on how to achieve them.
- Ability to multi-task
- Strong literacy and numeracy skills, with meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Ability to handle challenge and work effectively under pressure
- Commercial awareness
- Due to the nature of this role a DBS (Disclosure Barring Service) check will be required.
- This position is based at our Stone Office (home based will be considered) with some travel to other sites and client premises where necessary so a full clean driving licence and access to a car is essential.